
A good epic possesses you, making you feel like the world you are walking, eating, and breathing in is nothing but a background for the vivid scenes you're reading whenever you have a spare minute. A good epic transports you to other worlds, times and places and lets you inhabit someone else's skin for a while. A really good epic also teaches you about a topic, burning indelible details in your mind.
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle takes place in the backwoods of Wisconsin. Edgar is a mute 14-year old boy but he is not limited by his lack of speech. he communicates effectively with his parents and the dogs they train and breed with his own brand of sign language. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is equally about Edgar as it is about Almondine and the other dogs they raise. Wroblewski does such an amazing job personifying the dogs that they are characters in themselves and often seem more noble than most of the humans in the book.
Wroblewski is a master scene setter, especially when he describes extreme weather. I was at the edge of my lounge chair envisioning dark tornadoes and violent thunder. He also described the dogs so vividly that I could almost feel their pelt under my fingers. The entire novel is so beautifully written, and it is apparent that he took years to perfect his craft.
This is the type of book that I look forward to re-reading, and I do that incredibly rarely (apparently Stephen King also deemed it re-readable, and that is incredibly rare for him too). I not only look forward to enjoying his beautiful prose again, I also want to delve more into the symbolism. Although the plot was gripping in itself, there was much I missed about Hamlet, and the Jungle Book.

3 comments:
YOu crack me up! I too shy away from the Oprah picks...just out of a desire to not cave to group dynamic...but your review is a compelling one...may have to change my mode...or at least find one with no sticker on the front! ;)
Have a great weekend, Vanessa!
I noticed Stephen King said he would re-read it too. I just finished that a few days ago and loved it. What a beautifully written book.
Thanks for that review. I had actually purchased The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, but ended up needing a last minute gift for someone so there went that! Have you checked out www.goodreads.com? It's a very neat way to make a sort of virtual book club--you can rate books and put your comments and share with your friends. Then they get e-mail notices when your list changes, etc. If you look at my site you'll see a little mozaic thing on the left that shows books I've read--this was through Good Reads, too. Happy VGNO--nice to see another reader! :)
--Susan aka Mini Van Barbie
Post a Comment