Monday, July 13, 2009

Lunar Landing Countdown


I bet you didn't know that next Monday, July 20th will be the 40th anniversary of the first lunar landing. I certainly didn't. And amazingly, after 40 years during which we've seen incredible new inventions like the Internet and cell phones, space travel has never lost its magic.

The concept of landing on the moon is just as fascinating to adults and children alike today as it was 40 years ago.

In honor of this big anniversary, AOL and the JFK Presidential Library have partnered together to recreate the excitement of the first lunar landing online.The We Choose the Moonsite will go live on July 16 at 8:02 a.m. and will launch at 9:32 a.m. – exactly 40 years to the minute after the historic launch and re-create Apollo 11’s lunar mission, minute by minute, with an interactive experience that lets visitors experience the mission as it happened, using archival audio, video, photos and “real-time” transmissions on the site and via Twitter.

You can pre-register today to receive email reminders and get regular “real-time” updates during the four-day mission from July 16th through July 20th. There are also three Twitter feeds to follow: @AP11_Spacecraft, @AP11_Capcom, and @AP11_Eagle.

I got a sneak peek at the site and even on my teeny tiny netbook screen, it was very very cool. I can't wait to get home and share it all with Jack. He and I will be geeking out together all weekend, and ignoring our piles of boxes.

3 comments:

Cheryl Lage said...

VANESSA!
So glad you posted--and are excited--about WeChooseTheMoon!

The agency I began working for in February has been integrally involved with the JFK Library in getting the elements for this experience coalesced and honed. I can hardly wait to follow along too, and to share it with my kids. (Who at seven I think will appreciate it a bit more than I did at 4 and a half sitting on my parents' '60's sofa!)

Thanks for spreading the word!

turnitupmom said...

That is super cool! Geek it out, mama! And ditch those piles of boxes :) You made me laugh.

Amanda said...

That's cool. I'll have to check ti out so my 8yo and I can geek out too. He wants to be a scientist when he grows up. A boy after my own heart.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails