Although I'm currently happy with my weight and figure, there have been times in my life when I wasn't, like after suffering through high school by binging on ice cream and pizza and after having my third child. I was about thirty pounds overweight both times and I dealt with it the same way, although it was considerably harder once I was in my thirties.I didn't adopt any fad diets like only eating pineapple or cutting out all carbs. I love food way too much to eat un-naturally. I simply ate less (probably too little in college, but that's another story). Junior Year I once made a beurre blanc for
two sauteed scallops - my roommates thought I was crazy - but I was happy with my tiny little feast, and afterwards, I was fulfilled. I love butter, cream and chocolate - but I don't like eating so much that I feel stuffed. I'm a food snob, I get very grumpy when I don't like my food. I was reading the September issue of Bon Appetit this weekend, and I came across an article that described my diet exactly. It was written by Melissa Clark, a food writer, who has written a book called The Skinny - how food writers don't get fat. She eats out most nights, and manages to remain a size 2. She doesn't have a fast metabolism - she actually used to be thirty pounds heavier in college - but she sticks to a few rules that let her stay thin. 1) She only eats what she likes - but not too much of it. 2) She tries to eat salad or vegetables with each meal. 3) She exercises 3 to 4 times a week.
I got so excited reading this article, seeing my approach to eating in print. I have a running battle with my husband who is always embracing new diets, maybe getting him a copy of this book will finally convince him that the right diet is choosing to eat delicious food in moderation rather than depriving yourself of things you crave.

3 comments:
They say portion control is really the key, along with cutting out "empty" calories like soda. I think I need that book, since I struggle with eating butter and losing weight.
I'm trying to lose weight right now (70lbs to be exact) and though I've given up drinking anything but water (who needs empty calories anyway) I still do eat what I want. I find I'm less likely to binge eat later if I enjoy a tiny taste now.
Also working out helps. Who knew, proper diet and exercise, the key to losing weight.
I heartily agree with your take on this. I've found that every time I deprive myself of something or replace it with a "light" version I end up bingeing on something else to fill the craving.
Much better to have a bit of the real stuff.
Now, can you come over every night and make us some of your amazing food? ;-)
Post a Comment