Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wordful Wednesday: Tell Me Their Stories

"Tell me their stories," she demanded from the back seat.

I peered at her through the rearview mirror, looking at me earnestly in her princess pink booster seat with her halo of uncombed hair and I asked, "whose stories do you want to hear, sweetie?"

"Their stories, Mom, the stories of all the dead ones with their names on the stones. I want to hear them all!"

Her request in the parking lot of our supermarket, was so unexpected, torn from the wilds of her 4-year old world, that I pressed her to clarify, but she insisted. She had chosen that particular moment to call upon my memories, to learn about those connected to her by blood but blocked by time. "Mom! I want to know all about them: their names, their stories, and where their stones are. Tell me Mom. Tell me now."

And so I told her about her great-grandmother, my Lola, her namesake who so resembles my Juliette in spirit and determination. A woman who would be shocked to have a descendant who eats corn dogs and walks out of the house with wild hair but who would no doubt see herself in my little dictator in the making.

I told Juliette Loreau's story in Disney terms, painting a picture a 4-year old would appreciate, the story of a rich little girl who grew up with her baby brother in a big castle. She had a friend who lived nearby, a best friend who she married when she got older and he wore a handsome costume like Cinderella's prince because he was in the army. They had four pretty daughters who loved to eat cherries, right from the trees in their backyard. And later on, when she was old and living in a little house on a hill by the sea, her baby brother came to live with her again, with a little yellow bird who sang pretty songs to them in the evening from its golden cage.

She listened to the story, rapt, with her mouth a little open as if she could drink my memories. When I stopped speaking, she let out a soft, "oh," and looked dreamily at the window, no doubt imagining the life of this woman she'll never know, happy to be filled with the stories that she craved.


11 comments:

-Roxi Beck said...

I love this! What a great mom you are to be able to respond to a huge request in such a meaningful manner. Next thing you know, she'll probably be requesting her very own cherry tree and yellow bird :)

TKTC said...

Vanessa, I have chills. This is beautiful and such a great way to share your family's rich history. Or herstory, in this case.

Anonymous said...

I love it! You have such a wonderful way of sharing these moments with us!

OHmommy said...

Love.

Meryl said...

What a beautifully written, beautifully told story of love. Thanks.

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

She is adorable! Love your post and comments!!

Anonymous said...

Oh...such a joy to know that kids still yearn to hear stories rather than play video games. My students are amazed that I spent most of the days outside, must less listened to stories rather than watch them! Great post!

Claremont First Ward said...

I love that your daughter is interested in her family, and what a wonderful mother to share those stories with her. Your grandma was a TINY little beautiful thing, wasn't she?

ChefDruck said...

Thanks for all your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the story and the pictures. I was so close to my grandmother, spent every summer with her in that little house on the hill, which now feels like a distant memory since she died and I live in the States. Sharing her with my Juliette and with you all brings her back to me a bit and makes me smile.

tracy said...

this is a beautiful piece of writing. i love how it starts. very well done.

Kelly said...

I love the language, "could drink my memories.". Beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails